- A large flightless seabird of the southern hemisphere, with black upper parts and white underparts and wings developed into flippers for swimming under water.
More example sentences
- Family Spheniscidae: six genera and several species
- The island is only a quarter of a square mile in size, but it is teeming with penguins and other sea birds.
- The emperor penguin is the largest penguin species and also one of the few found in Antarctica.
- Green sea turtles rest on the shore and penguins are waddling off for a swim.
late 16th century (originally denoting the great auk): possibly of Welsh origin, from pen gwyn 'white head'.
More definitions of penguinDefinition of penguin in:
- The US English dictionary