- (Of a diatom) bilaterally symmetrical. Compare with centric.More example sentences
- The major source of the spring diatom pulse was Skeletonema potamos and a variety of centric and pennate diatoms.
- Diatoms are photosynthetic protists, which are classified into centric and pennate diatoms, according to whether they have a radial or bilateral symmetry.
- Both articulated and broken pennate diatoms, up to 12 m long and 4 m wide, are scattered throughout the stromatolitic sinters.
mid 19th century: from Latin pennatus 'feathered, winged', from penna 'feather'.
More definitions of pennateDefinition of pennate in:
- The US English dictionary