Definition of penny wise in English:
Extremely careful about the way one spends even small amounts of money: we’re all penny wise these days
More example sentences
- The ubiquitous banners used for public functions and the painted boards preferred by penny wise advertisers are slowly making way for computerised graphics and digital printing.
penny wise and pound foolish
- Careful and economical in small matters while being wasteful or extravagant in large ones.Example sentences
- It is very much a case of penny wise and pound foolish, if the Government persists in its present anti-forestry policy.
- Are local self-bodies exercising their right to be penny wise and pound foolish?
- Not paying them well is penny wise and pound foolish.
Definition of penny wise in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan