Definition of pentathlon in English:
- Thorpe was the sensation of the 1912 Stockholm Olympics and won the pentathlon and decathlon gold medals by huge margins.
- The 1912 Olympics in Stockholm are best remembered for Jim Thorpe's world record successes in the most demanding track and field events, the pentathlon and the decathlon.
- After winning the pentathlon at the Olympic Games, probably in 444 BC, he went on to write one of the first training manuals.
- Example sentences
- A Russian athlete and a modern pentathlete failed recent dope tests, Russian Olympic officials said yesterday, giving details of previously announced cases.
- Modern pentathletes complete five events in a single day
- She is the first British female modern pentathlete to qualify for the Olympic Games.
Early 17th century (denoting the original five events of leaping, running, discus-throwing, spear-throwing, and wrestling): from Greek, from pente 'five' + athlon 'contest'.
Words that rhyme with pentathlonbiathlon, heptathlon, tetrathlon, triathlon
Definition of pentathlon in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.