- A herbaceous or shrubby plant of north temperate regions, which has long been cultivated for its showy flowers.
More example sentences
- Genus Paeonia, family Paeoniaceae
- Put stakes and supports in place for tall, herbaceous plants, like peonies and delphiniums.
- He purchased and planted about 1,000 herbaceous peonies and planted them in Charlottesville, Virginia, where he leased land from his brother-in-law.
- Lift and divide overcrowded clumps of perennials, including campanulas, daylilies, hostas, peonies, sedums, and Shasta daisies.
Old English peonie, via Latin from Greek paiōnia, from Paiōn, the name of the physician of the gods.
More definitions of peonyDefinition of peony in:
- The US English dictionary