1An unofficial court set up by a revolutionary or vigilante group.
- As soon as he stepped out of jail, he was taken to a people's court, quickly judged and killed by the mob.
- A man spent two days in hospital after he was lashed 50 times by members of a people's court.
- The people's courts, vigilantes, and instant-justice mobs that are still flourishing in South Africa and elsewhere on the continent are illegal.
2An official court in a communist country.
- Canadian and Australian diplomats who tried to enter the first intermediate people's court of Beijing to observe the trial were turned away.
- On the death penalty, Amnesty welcomed a decision by the supreme people's court (SPC) to formally resume its role of approving all death sentences.
- But the higher people's court in Shaanxi ordered her execution after it ruled her depression was not directly related to her crime.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: people's court
Definition of people's court in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.