- 1An unofficial court set up by a revolutionary or vigilante group.More example sentences
- As soon as he stepped out of jail, he was taken to a people's court, quickly judged and killed by the mob.
- A man spent two days in hospital after he was lashed 50 times by members of a people's court.
- The people's courts, vigilantes, and instant-justice mobs that are still flourishing in South Africa and elsewhere on the continent are illegal.
- 2An official court in a communist country.More example sentences
- Canadian and Australian diplomats who tried to enter the first intermediate people's court of Beijing to observe the trial were turned away.
- On the death penalty, Amnesty welcomed a decision by the supreme people's court (SPC) to formally resume its role of approving all death sentences.
- But the higher people's court in Shaanxi ordered her execution after it ruled her depression was not directly related to her crime.
More definitions of people's courtDefinition of people's court in:
- The US English dictionary