Definition of people's court in English:
1An unofficial court set up by a revolutionary or vigilante group.
- As soon as he stepped out of jail, he was taken to a people's court, quickly judged and killed by the mob.
- A man spent two days in hospital after he was lashed 50 times by members of a people's court.
- The people's courts, vigilantes, and instant-justice mobs that are still flourishing in South Africa and elsewhere on the continent are illegal.
2An official court in a communist country.
- Canadian and Australian diplomats who tried to enter the first intermediate people's court of Beijing to observe the trial were turned away.
- On the death penalty, Amnesty welcomed a decision by the supreme people's court (SPC) to formally resume its role of approving all death sentences.
- But the higher people's court in Shaanxi ordered her execution after it ruled her depression was not directly related to her crime.
Definition of people's court in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia