noun (plural pepos)
- Any fleshy watery fruit of the melon or cucumber type, with numerous seeds and a firm rind.More example sentences
- Botanists call the fruits ‘pepos’ and count them, weird though this seems, as ‘berries’.
- Investigators agree that Cucurbita pepo fruits would have been used primarily as containers, or perhaps as rattles, rather than food.
- ‘Our research has shown that members of the Cucurbita pepo species, including pumpkins, are particularly effective in this regard,’ he says.
mid 19th century: from Latin, literally 'pumpkin', from Greek pepōn (from pepōn sikuos 'ripe gourd').
More definitions of pepoDefinition of pepo in:
- The US English dictionary