1 [mass noun] The aromatic leaves of a plant of the mint family, or an essential oil obtained from them, used as a flavouring in food: [as modifier]: peppermint creams peppermint tea
More example sentences
- Moroccan mint tea is a brisk blend of gunpowder green tea and peppermint leaves, while Earl Grey, a famous British tea, is made up of black tea leaves flavored with bergamot orange oil.
- And if your gut does start complaining, placate it with a cup of soothing mint or ginger tea or a capsule of peppermint oil.
- With ingredients like peppermint and jojoba essential oil, milk protein, and Shea butter, it is also good for your hair.
1.1 [count noun] A sweet flavoured with peppermint oil: she sucked on her peppermints
More example sentences
- As you can see, these are all real glass ornaments, but they are cupcakes and peppermints and candy canes.
- Or how he tastes like peppermints and sweet vodka at six-thirty on a Saturday morning.
- The truck driver tells her the peppermints are nickel candy.
2 [mass noun] The cultivated Old World plant which yields peppermint leaves or oil.
- Mentha × piperita, family Labiatae
- Aroma advocates claim that rosemary, peppermint, basil and jasmine scents, alone or in combination, may improve your mental alertness.
- More seasonal and colourful plants such as cherry, Chinese flowering crabapple and pomegranate as well as some fragrant plants such as peppermint, thyme and rosemary dot the park.
- Suitable repellent oils are lavender, citronella, peppermint, lemongrass, cinnamon, thyme and basil.
3Australian Any of a number of trees or shrubs with peppermint-scented foliage, in particular:
- A gum tree with leaves that yield an aromatic essential oil (genus Eucalyptus, family Myrtaceae). A myrtle grown as an ornamental tree or shrub (genus Agonis, family Myrtaceae).
- Then mixed species appear of soft intoxicating peppermints, blackwoods, sassafras and blue gum.
- The smells of the peppermint groves, the sea and the sand dunes are almost palpable.
- Example sentences
- These are deposited by the bugs before they settle down to digest their meals, and have a sweet odour described as ‘pepperminty’ or ‘musty’.
- They also have a strong pepperminty smell when you crush the leaves!
- Do you detect an odour that is either pepperminty or musty?
Definition of peppermint in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.