Definition of peppery in English:
1Strongly flavoured with pepper or other hot spices: a hot, peppery dish
More example sentences
- To partner spicy or peppery dishes, New World Cabernets and Merlots generally stand up better than their European equivalents.
- Don't be afraid of this peppery dish, it isn't that spicy after all.
- Other sea food choices include seared red snapper, steamed flying fish served with crab meat on a bed of local pilaf rice, or grilled Cajun swordfish dished out with a peppery pineapple-melon salsa.
1.1Having a flavour or scent like that of pepper: nasturtiums have a peppery taste
More example sentences
- Rich and juicy aromas of ripe plum and black cherry with mild peppery scents offer mild flavours of clove before a rip-roaring juicy fruit bursts through leading to ripe yet firm tannins taking you on a long finish.
- Galangal is a gingery, peppery spice favored in Southeast Asian cooking, and it gives the soup an exotic kick, like a delicate, Malay version of lobster chowder.
- My wife gave her benediction to a helping of striped bass, doused in peppery Indian spices and sautéed in fillets small enough to be eaten with chopsticks.
2(Of a person) irritable and sharp-tongued: retired generals are expected to be peppery
irritable, peevish, cross, crabbed, crabby, crotchety, cantankerous, hot-tempered, irascible, fiery, quick-tempered, impatient, complaining, querulous, curmudgeonly, bitter, acerbic, sour, caustic, moody, grumpy, huffy, brusque, surly, curt, gruff, scratchy, ill-tempered, bad-tempered, short-tempered, ill-natured, ill-humoured, touchy, sharp-tongued, testy, tetchy, snappish, snarling, waspish, prickly, crusty, bilious, liverish, dyspeptic, splenetic, choleric
Australian/New Zealand informal snaky
informal, , dated miffy
- Example sentences
- It is also perfect with fatty meats such as duck and pork, since its tangy pepperiness cuts through the richness.
- It manages to be silky and mellow, with damson and cocoa but at the same time, that pepperiness packs a punch.
- It's a creamy dram with a distinct pepperiness that gives it dimension.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.