- Falco peregrinus, family Falconidae
- Boasting buzzards, merlins, kestrels, peregrines, and ospreys, the county has ten of a total UK species of 15-making it one of the nation's key habitats.
- And there are more raptors about: falcons, peregrines, sparrowhawks.
- Raptors - particularly buzzards, sparrowhawks and peregrines - are in abundance in the Scottish countryside.
adjectivearchaic Back to top
late Middle English: from Latin peregrinus 'foreign', from peregre 'abroad', from per- 'through' + ager 'field'. The falcon's name is a translation of the modern Latin taxonomic name, literally 'pilgrim falcon', because falconers' birds were caught fully grown on migration, not taken from the nest.
Definition of peregrine in:
- The US English dictionary