- Denoting or relating to an aspect of verbs in Slavic languages that expresses completed action. The opposite of imperfective.More example sentences
- The cognitive origin is taken to be the basic linguistic distinction between imperfective and perfective aspects of verbs, which describe uncompleted and completed actions.
- One approach to these complex verb forms might be to analyse exponents of progressive and perfective aspect (be and have) as modifiers of the bare verb.
- It has something that is similar, but it is really a distinction between imperfective and perfective aspect.
noun(the perfective) Back to top
- The perfective aspect.More example sentences
- In the Slavonic languages, the perfective and imperfective are signalled by inflections on the verb, the perfective denoting the completion of the activity and the imperfective its non-completion.
More definitions of perfectiveDefinition of perfective in:
- The US English dictionary