Definition of performance poetry in English:
A form of poetry intended to be performed as a dramatic monologue or exchange and frequently involving extemporization.
- Though its historical origins are in literary poetry, performance poetry is now a different art, and its fundamental irreconcilability with literary poetry becomes more apparent each year.
- Apparently slam poetry is competitive performance poetry with bits of hip-hop and stand-up thrown in for good measure.
- She hates the false distinction between poetry and performance poetry.
performance poet noun
- Example sentences
- Making poetry my art and my means of financial survival I was probably the first Australian full-time professional performance poet with a wife, family and mortgage.
- As he shared his poetry and his life with us, his passion for kung fu and football, Vegan food and banknotes, we found ourselves in tears from total identification with this dreadlocked, charismatic performance poet.
- But on the Gold Coast I met an extraordinary creature: a performance poet.
Definition of performance poetry in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan