Definition of pericardium in English:
noun (plural pericardia ˌpɛrɪˈkɑːdɪə)Anatomy
The membrane enclosing the heart, consisting of an outer fibrous layer and an inner double layer of serous membrane.
- Reference to the pericardium, epicardium, myocardium, endocardium and valves, chordae, ventricular thicknesses, and aorta and major vessels may be included.
- With this patient, the images of the communication between the pericardium and the thoracic duct could be more clearly identified, due to improvements in computerizing techniques.
- The pericardial stage was used to suspend the pericardium and the phrenic nerve was preserved throughout its course.
- Example sentences
- After the lung and tumor are removed, a vascular pedicle of pericardial fat is loosely sutured to the bronchial stump.
- In the present series, edema, manifested locally as tissue swelling and systemically as pulmonary edema and pleural and pericardial effusions, was a prominent feature.
- These risks include bleeding, infection, hematoma, pneumothorax, pericardial effusion, myocardial infarction, stroke, and death.
Definition of pericardium in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.