- 1 Chemistry Relating to or denoting a reaction that involves a concerted rearrangement of bonding in which all the bonds broken or formed in the reaction lie on a closed ring, whether or not a cyclic molecule is involved.More example sentences
- In pericyclic reactions, bonds are made or broken in a concerted cyclic transition state.
- But, because the mechanism for the reaction is pericyclic, there is retention of geometry such that quite specific products can be generated.
- Chemists everywhere are now familiar with the Woodward-Hoffmann rules for pericyclic reactions, which tied a whole list of cyclizations and rearrangements into a coherent bundle.
- 2 Botany Relating to a pericycle.More example sentences
- Azima tetracantha bark is distinctive in having bundle cap (‘pericyclic’) fibers and sclereid nests in phloem rays.