noun[mass noun] Geology
A dense, coarse-grained plutonic rock containing a large amount of olivine, believed to be the main constituent of the earth’s mantle.
More example sentences
- Diamonds sometimes contain minute inclusions of the minerals garnet, olivine, and pyroxene, which indicate formation in two major mantle rock-types, peridotite and eclogite.
- The intellectual and creative processes by which we improve infrastructural code are no less natural than the geological forces that turn granite into gneiss, limestone into marble and peridotite into serpentine.
- The magma contains components of the sediments and weathered oceanic crust from the Nazca plate as well as the peridotite in the mantle beneath South America.
- More example sentences
- Point 2 represents the formation of garnet-bearing peridotitic mylonite on the western boundary.
- The origin of the deposits is considered to be similar to that of the volcanic - peridotitic ores, where segregation from an ultrabasic magma appears the most likely scenario.
Definition of peridotite in:
- The US English dictionary