Definition of perikaryon in English:
noun (plural perikarya /-ˈkarɪə/)Physiology
The cell body of a neuron, containing the nucleus.
- The perikaryon of a microglial cell is irregular in shape, and, if elongated, the few processes emanate from both of its poles.
- The presence of these nerve cells at the surface exposes them unduly to damage; it is estimated that 1 per cent of the fibers of the olfactory nerves (axons of olfactory neurons) is lost each year of life because of injury to the perikarya.
- The perikarya of the unpaired ventral nerve cord are distributed over almost the entire length of a trunk segment.
- Example sentences
- Typically, the localization was diffuse within the individual tumor cells and was distributed equally in both the perikaryal cytoplasm and in major fibrillated cell processes.
- Immunohistochemically, the cells with ganglionic features showed focal perikaryal staining for synaptophysin and chromogranin.
Definition of perikaryon in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan