An American cicada whose nymphs emerge in large numbers in a seventeen-year (or, in the south, a thirteen-year) cycle.
- Magicicada septendecim, family Cicadidae, suborder Homoptera. Alternative name: seventeen-year cicada
More example sentences
- It is not known how periodical cicadas synchronize their life cycles over 13 or 17 years - or how they manage to count out the years.
- The fact that periodical cicadas emerge after a prime number of years could be just a coincidence.
- But the lack of a viable predator control of the periodical cicadas doesn't mean the periodical cicadas have no predators, or no effect on their predators' lives.
Definition of periodical cicada in:
- The US English dictionary