An American cicada whose nymphs emerge in large numbers in a seventeen-year (or, in the south, a thirteen-year) cycle.
- Magicicada septendecim, family Cicadidae, suborder Homoptera. Alternative name: seventeen-year cicada
More example sentences
- It is not known how periodical cicadas synchronize their life cycles over 13 or 17 years - or how they manage to count out the years.
- The fact that periodical cicadas emerge after a prime number of years could be just a coincidence.
- But the lack of a viable predator control of the periodical cicadas doesn't mean the periodical cicadas have no predators, or no effect on their predators' lives.
More definitions of periodical cicadaDefinition of periodical cicada in:
- The US English dictionary