- 1 Zoology The parts surrounding the mouth of various invertebrates.More example sentences
- Spines and tube feet surrounding the peristome function in locomotion, burrowing, and food-gathering.
- The peristome can seem quite large.
- The autozooids have small apertures and often preserve long peristomes inclined at an acute angle to the colony surface.
- 2 Botany A fringe of small projections around the mouth of a capsule in mosses and certain fungi.More example sentences
- The sporophytes also develop peristomes and a spongy layer.
late 18th century: from modern Latin peristoma, from Greek peri- 'around' + stoma 'mouth'.
More definitions of peristomeDefinition of peristome in:
- The US English dictionary