Definition of peristyle in English:
1A row of columns surrounding a space within a building such as a court or internal garden or edging a veranda or porch.
- This form, upon which our modern atria are based, was enclosed on all sides by buildings with roofs sloping to a columned peristyle or walkway around a courtyard.
- The original building comprised a courtyard of enormous size with a full peristyle of eight columns on a side.
- The presence of gardens and especially of a peristyle make one think of a domus, or patrician residence.
1.1A space such as a court or porch that is surrounded or edged by a peristyle.
- One should perceive a bit further in the distance the colonnade forming the peristyle of the temple of Berecynthia.
- Portraits of famous Greek and Roman poets, orators, and statesmen filled libraries and peristyles.
- She often spent her days in the peristyle, reading or playing the harp.
Words that rhyme with peristyleacetyl • lifestyle • hostile
Definition of peristyle in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.