- 1A row of columns surrounding a space within a building such as a court or internal garden or edging a veranda or porch.More example sentences
- This form, upon which our modern atria are based, was enclosed on all sides by buildings with roofs sloping to a columned peristyle or walkway around a courtyard.
- The original building comprised a courtyard of enormous size with a full peristyle of eight columns on a side.
- The presence of gardens and especially of a peristyle make one think of a domus, or patrician residence.
- 1.1A space such as a court or porch that is surrounded or edged by a peristyle.More example sentences
- One should perceive a bit further in the distance the colonnade forming the peristyle of the temple of Berecynthia.
- Portraits of famous Greek and Roman poets, orators, and statesmen filled libraries and peristyles.
- She often spent her days in the peristyle, reading or playing the harp.
early 17th century: from French péristyle, from Latin peristylum, from Greek peristulon, from peri- 'around' + stulos 'pillar'.
More definitions of peristyleDefinition of peristyle in:
- The US English dictionary