noun (plural peritoneums or peritonea /-ˈniːə/)Anatomy
- The serous membrane lining the cavity of the abdomen and covering the abdominal organs.More example sentences
- The diaphragm is then bluntly dissected away from the parietal peritoneum, leaving the peritoneum behind.
- There was no extension into the endometrial cavity, nor into the pelvic peritoneum.
- This treatment uses the lining of the peritoneum to act as the filter.
- More example sentences
- The concern is that additional fluid would cause further distension and leakage of bowel contents into the peritoneal cavity.
- A peritoneal dialysis catheter is placed under sterile conditions.
- If no cells are present in this peritoneal mucous, the prognosis is excellent.
late Middle English: via late Latin from Greek peritonaion, from peritonos 'stretched round', from peri- 'around' + -tonos 'stretched'.
More definitions of peritoneumDefinition of peritoneum in:
- The US English dictionary