- An irreversible deformation that remains in a structure or material after it has been subjected to stress.More example sentences
- It responds to heat treatment on the improved permanent set stress and ultimate strength with some loss of elongation.
- The magnitude of the permanent set in the core and case is affected by yield strength of the material, thickness of the case, and by the amount and nature of the nitrides formed.
- If the load were eliminated at point B the specimen would not go back to its original dimension but instead take a permanent set.
More definitions of permanent setDefinition of permanent set in:
- The US English dictionary