- 1A compound containing two oxygen atoms bonded together in its molecule or as the anion O22−: the peptide neutralizes free radicals and peroxides, both of which can prevent cells from operating properly benzoyl peroxide sodium peroxideMore example sentences
- Functions include detoxification of free radicals and peroxides, regulation of cell growth and protein function, and maintenance of immune function.
- The increased accumulation of lipid peroxides is indicative of enhanced production of toxic oxygen species.
- Similar to peroxides, decomposition of disulfides results in the formation of sulfur-centered radicals.
- 1.1 [mass noun] Hydrogen peroxide, especially as used as a bleach for the hair: [as modifier]: a peroxide blondeMore example sentences
- Make poultice soaked with 20% peroxide (hair bleaching strength) and a few drops of ammonia.
- ‘I think it's important to be original,’ the 27-year-old with peroxide blonde hair said.
- A woman steps out, quite tall with peroxide blonde hair, looks English.
verb[with object] Back to top
- Bleach (hair) with peroxide: she peroxided her wavy brown hair (as adjective peroxided) a face framed in peroxided curlsMore example sentences
- I am not convinced by her argument that peroxided hair came into vogue in the early 1920s, nor that the national fascination with blondes was strong in that decade.
- My agent filled them in that my hair had been peroxided and was very weak.
- It took half an hour before a certain table of heavily peroxided girls understood what an essence was.
More definitions of peroxideDefinition of peroxide in:
- The US English dictionary