noun[mass noun] Chess
- The situation of play when a draw is obtained by repeated checking of the king: he clinched the title by forcing a draw by perpetual checkMore example sentences
- In this case, the move cripples White's queenside pawn structure and creates an important drawing scheme for Black: perpetual check.
- White forced perpetual check a few moves later.
- Black can prolong the game by checking white's king, but there seems to be no hope of drawing by perpetual check.
More definitions of perpetual checkDefinition of perpetual check in:
- The US English dictionary