Definition of perseverate in English:
verb[no object] Psychology
Repeat or prolong an action, thought, or utterance after the stimulus that prompted it has ceased: they perseverate under stress
More example sentences
- Bitterman and Couvillon found that bees tended to perseverate - to choose the color for which they had most recently been rewarded.
- So he was compensating for the uncertainty factor by perseverating on the stressor with which he was at least already familiar - that stressor being work.
- I have a mild frontal lobe disorder that leads me to perseverate, and thus I've continued to work out the theory and do experiments anyway.
- Example sentences
- Problems in response inhibition and response perseveration are well documented in studies of children with ADHD.
- Such self-regulatory perseveration is characterized by unproductive rumination about the failure.
- With that change, they found that bees no longer demonstrated a preference for perseveration.
Definition of perseverate in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.