Definition of perseverate in English:
verb[no object] Psychology
Repeat or prolong an action, thought, or utterance after the stimulus that prompted it has ceased: they perseverate under stress
More example sentences
- Bitterman and Couvillon found that bees tended to perseverate - to choose the color for which they had most recently been rewarded.
- So he was compensating for the uncertainty factor by perseverating on the stressor with which he was at least already familiar - that stressor being work.
- I have a mild frontal lobe disorder that leads me to perseverate, and thus I've continued to work out the theory and do experiments anyway.
- Example sentences
- Problems in response inhibition and response perseveration are well documented in studies of children with ADHD.
- Such self-regulatory perseveration is characterized by unproductive rumination about the failure.
- With that change, they found that bees no longer demonstrated a preference for perseveration.
Definition of perseverate in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia