Definition of persimmon in English:
1An edible fruit that resembles a large tomato and has very sweet flesh.
- Among foods featured are morels, persimmons, cherries, game, wild blackberries, and asparagus.
- The produce includes strawberries, beans, avocado, persimmon, kiwifruit, oranges and other citrus fruit as well as flowers and plants.
- They taste a bit like persimmons, or maybe apricots - I wonder if they are available in the States.
2The tree which yields the persimmon, related to ebony.
- Genus Diospyros, family Ebenaceae: the evergreen American D. virginiana, with dark red fruit, and the Japanese persimmon (D. kaki), cultivated for its orange fruit
- Winter propagation of deciduous plants will be covered, and we'll discuss the interesting persimmon tree as well.
- Sitting by our persimmon tree last fall I watched a robin stretch out to peck off a piece of the bright, ripe fruit.
- Cold-tolerant persimmons are small, beautiful trees that yield small, sweet fruit harvested in the fall.
Early 17th century: alteration of Algonquian pessemmins.
Words that rhyme with persimmonRimmon
Definition of persimmon in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan