- A deeply ingrained and maladaptive pattern of behaviour of a specified kind, typically apparent by the time of adolescence, causing long-term difficulties in personal relationships or in functioning in society: this personality disorder is characterized by a lack of guilt and an inability to form lasting relationships the study has shown that avoidant personality disorder is strongly associated with anorexia nervosaMore example sentences
- The former have an avoidant personality style, the latter an avoidant personality disorder.
- The long-term projection for people with paranoid personality disorder is bleak.
- People with schizoid personality disorder avoid relationships and do not show much emotion.
More definitions of personality disorderDefinition of personality disorder in:
- The US English dictionary