Definition of perspectivism in English:
1 Philosophy The theory that knowledge of a subject is inevitably partial and limited by the individual perspective from which it is viewed.
- By juxtaposing Popper against Nietzsche, I would outline an abductive system which connects individual perspectivism with scientific reality (however naive the prospect).
- In Nietzsche's perspectivism, two basic notions come together.
- What is resisted in both Nietzsche's embodied/embedded perspectivism and his elitism is universalism.
2The practice of regarding and analysing a situation or work of art from different points of view: the emotional perspectivism of novels
More example sentences
- If one tried to press his perspectivism harder than that, it would seem very dubious.
- Such perspectivism is not to be mistaken for relativism, however.
- To do so requires a width and breadth of perspective on the human condition that are at the furthest possible distance from the perspectivism and narcissism of so much contemporary historiography.
- 1perspectivist noun
- Example sentences
- A sudden jump to the nineteenth century looks at architectural photography, comparing it to the work of the topographical perspectivists.
- Desargues, taking the perspectivist's preoccupation with foreshortening objects in the grid, instead treats the grid as its own object.
- That was central to the tradition of perspectivist landscape painting.
Definition of perspectivism in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.