Holding firmly to an opinion or a course of action: he worked with a pertinacious resistance to interruptions
More example sentences
- Well, I shall now offer a balanced view based on the facts before me: I find your attempts quite perspicacious and pertinacious, and wish you well accordingly.
- His enquiries were pertinacious.
- He knew she was only so pertinacious out of her love for him.
determined, tenacious, persistent, persevering, assiduous, purposeful, resolute, dogged, indefatigable, insistent, single-minded, unrelenting, relentless, implacable, uncompromising, unyielding, tireless, unshakeable, importunate, stubborn, stubborn as a mule, mulish, obstinate, obdurate, strong-willed, headstrong, inflexible, unbending, intransigent, intractable, pig-headed, bull-headed, stiff-necked, with one's toes/feet dug in, wilful, refractory, contrary, perverse
British informal bloody-minded
- Example sentences
- I remember that for years I pertinaciously read comic strips, unable to see what Americans saw in them.
- The Spanish Scholastics remain profoundly admired by Catholics as the great intellects they were - unthinkable if they had pertinaciously taught perverse error.
- Example sentences
- In both instances, it's a good advertisement for pertinacity.
- This was returned to Buckingham Palace in 1947, largely through the pertinacity of Queen Mary.
- If, in the face of these facts, somebody still insists that the boundaries of the Sikh religion are blurred, it is sheer pertinacity.
Words that rhyme with pertinaciousAthanasius, audacious, bodacious, cactaceous, capacious, carbonaceous, contumacious, Cretaceous, curvaceous, disputatious, edacious, efficacious, fallacious, farinaceous, flirtatious, foliaceous, fugacious, gracious, hellacious, herbaceous, Ignatius, loquacious, mendacious, mordacious, ostentatious, perspicacious, pugnacious, rapacious, sagacious, salacious, saponaceous, sebaceous, sequacious, setaceous, spacious, tenacious, veracious, vexatious, vivacious, voracious
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: per¦tin|acious
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.