1Make (someone) anxious or unsettled: they were perturbed by her capricious behaviour [with object and clause]: he was perturbed that his bleeper wouldn’t work
More example sentences
- There are, probably, two principal concerns that will be perturbing the potential visitor.
- She was not perturbed by the low attendance, insisting that most people on the street supported her position.
- What perturbs me though is the complete lack of value I have received from my taxes, that I have faithfully paid towards public health over the years.
worry, upset, unsettle, disturb, concern, trouble, make anxious, make uneasy, make fretful, disquiet; discompose, disconcert, discomfit, unnerve, alarm, bother, distress, dismay, gnaw at, agitate, fluster, ruffle, discountenance, exercise
archaic potherupset, worried, unsettled, disturbed, concerned, troubled, anxious, ill at ease, uneasy, fretful, disquieted; disconcerted, discomposed, unnerved, alarmed, bothered, distressed, dismayed, apprehensive, nervous, restless, agitated, flustered, ruffled, shaken, flurried, discountenanced, uncomfortable
North American informal antsy
2Subject (a system, moving object, or process) to an influence tending to alter its normal or regular state or path: nuclear weapons could be used to perturb the orbit of an asteroid
More example sentences
- Drugs perturb the system through increasing or decreasing transmission or transmitter levels, or up or down regulating receptor populations.
- It could change the heating structure of the atmosphere and perturb the climate system in ways we don't understand now.
- In this way, we see that the two systems engage in an exchange, a feedback loop of information and effect, which serves to further change or perturb each system.
late Middle English: from Old French pertourber, from Latin perturbare, from per- 'completely' + turbare 'disturb'.
- sense 2.More example sentences
- In the perturbative expansion of a gauge theory, large numbers of Feynman amplitudes combine to produce mathematically simple expressions.
- His logic, however, would have deprecated the early remarkable successes of perturbative quantum electrodynamics.
- Such measurements can then be compared with predictions of perturbative QCD, a relatively tractable corner of the full theory.
Pronunciation: /pəˈtəːbətɪv, ˈpəːtəbeɪtɪv/adjective