noun (plural pesos)
- The basic monetary unit of several Latin American countries and of the Philippines, equal to 100 centésimos in Uruguay and 100 centavos elsewhere.More example sentences
- At the height of vote counting in the Congress last week, the peso tumbled to an all-time low of 56.43 pesos to the U.S. dollar.
- The Uruguayan peso, whose value has halved since the middle of June, plunged even further when foreign exchange controls were lifted.
- Mexican pesos and US dollars are interchanged at the general exchange rate of 10 pesos per $.
Spanish, literally 'weight', from Latin pensum 'something weighed', from the verb pendere 'weigh'.
More definitions of pesoDefinition of peso in:
- The US English dictionary