noun (plural pessaries)
- 1A small soluble block that is inserted into the vagina to treat infection or as a contraceptive.More example sentences
- In vivo the pessary demonstrated high contraceptive efficacy in rabbits of proven fertility.
- Thrush is easily treated using pessaries (tablets that are inserted into the vagina), cream or tablets.
- Medication for conditions like thrush, such as creams, pessaries or suppositories may also damage latex and prevent the condom working properly.
- 1.1An elastic or rigid device that is inserted into the vagina to support the uterus.More example sentences
- Stress incontinence can be treated with intravaginal support devices, pessaries, and urethral ‘plugs.’
- For example, a Gellhorn pessary can offer excellent support for uterine prolapse as long as the perineal body is intact.
- Occlusive devices, such as pessaries, can mimic the effects of a retropubic urethropexy.
late Middle English: from late Latin pessarium, based on Greek pessos 'oval stone' (used in board games).
More definitions of pessaryDefinition of pessary in:
- The US English dictionary