Definition of petit mal in English:
1A mild form of epilepsy characterized by brief spells of unconsciousness without loss of posture. Compare with grand mal.
- This led in particular to a more detailed differentiation and classification of epilepsy, including terms still in use today, such as grand mal, petit mal, absence seizures, and status epilepticus.
- Doctors dispelled the depression as an extensive form of epilepsy, petit mal.
- The terms seizure and convulsion include grand mal, petit mal, absence, myoclonic, tonic-clonic, and focal motor seizures and signs.
1.1 [count noun] A petit mal epileptic fit: he wasn’t out of his petit mal yet
More example sentences
- I myself had pediatric petit mal epilepsy (It cleared as I went through puberty), and when I had my first long lasting seizure it was actually pretty undramatic.
- We're not too sure whether James had a petit mal seizure, (he suffers from epilepsy), on the bus on the way home from his post school option program.
- A is epileptic; he had daily petit mal seizures as a child which would case memory loss, so he is an unreliable witness.
late 19th century: from French, literally 'little sickness'.
Definition of petit mal in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan