- A liquid mixture of hydrocarbons which is present in suitable rock strata and can be extracted and refined to produce fuels including petrol, paraffin, and diesel oil; oil.More example sentences
- Liquid paraffin is a mixture of liquid hydrocarbons obtained from petroleum.
- Benzene is a colorless and highly flammable liquid hydrocarbon derived from petroleum.
- Eocene formations are important source or reservoir rocks for petroleum or gas in several parts of the world.
late Middle English: from medieval Latin, from Latin petra 'rock' (from Greek) + Latin oleum 'oil'.
More definitions of petroleumDefinition of petroleum in:
- The US English dictionary