Definition of petrosal in English:
The dense part of the temporal bone at the base of the skull, surrounding the inner ear.
- The otic capsule became somewhat separated from the rest of the braincase as a pair of petrosals.
- Minimum basioccipital width is narrow relative to cavity width, suggesting the petrosals would have been moderately enlarged (in width two to three times the shortest distance between them).
- In pakicetids, the ectotympanic has already overgrown, giving rise to a large bulla surrounding the petrosal.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to or denoting the petrosal, or the nerves which pass through it.
- Drilling begins directly over the bisection of the angle between the greater superficial petrosal nerve and arcuate eminence and the dura of IAC is exposed beneath the petrous ridge.
- Impulses are conveyed via the glossopharyngeal nerve then via its tympanic branch to the tympanic plexus thence to the otic ganglion via the lesser superficial petrosal nerve.
- The temporal lobe, now slack from the mannitol, is retracted from the bone of the middle fossa floor, with care taken not to cause traction on the greater superficial petrosal nerve.
Definition of petrosal in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia