- A South American plant of the nightshade family which has white, purple, or red funnel-shaped flowers, with many ornamental varieties.
More example sentences
- Petunia × hybrida, family Solanaceae
- Tried and true varieties include Gerbera daisy, pink and purple wave petunia, begonias, Calla lilies, fragrant heliotrope and stock.
- White cyclamen, snapdragons, petunias and alyssum are cool-season annuals you can add now.
- Geraniums, pansies, petunias, primroses and snapdragons could provide shades of red late fall through spring.
modern Latin, from French petun, from Guarani petȳ 'tobacco' (to which these plants are related).
More definitions of petuniaDefinition of petunia in:
- The US English dictionary