Definition of pew in English:
1A long bench with a back, placed in rows in the main part of some churches to seat the congregation.
- The congregation replaced stationary pews with ‘Danish modern’ wooden chairs that could be positioned in any arrangement.
- They spent six months restoring the pulpit, wall panelling, lecterns, pews, tables and wall plaques to their former glory.
- There was only a handful of people in the congregation, sitting on pews toward the front of the nave.
1.1British informal A seat: ‘Take a pew. What’ll you have?’
More example sentences
- If you want to observe each and every angle of the view offered without so much as moving your feet, take a pew at the revolving café and sip a coffee while enjoying the view bit by bit.
- Be my guest, relax and take a pew: we've a lot to talk about!
Definition of pew in:
- US English dictionary