noun (plural same or pfennigs)
- (Until the introduction of the euro in 2002) a monetary unit of Germany, equal to one hundredth of a mark.More example sentences
- His grandfather, currently a garrison commander whisked away in the Carnic Alps, was the mayor of some Emilian town where the Austrian pfennig and the French franc are as yet applicable synonyms for lira.
- Within two years of such a vote, pounds and pence could be going the same way as guilders and pfennigs.
- The announcement sent sterling tumbling in New York trading last night, hitting DM2. 69-nine pfennigs below its former permitted ERM floor against the German mark.
from German Pfennig; related to penny.
More definitions of pfennigDefinition of pfennig in:
- The US English dictionary