A lemur-like tree-dwelling marsupial native to Australia and New Guinea.
- Family Phalangeridae: several genera, in particular Phalanger and Spilocuscus, and including the cuscuses; the common phalanger is either the spotted cuscus or the grey cuscus. See also flying phalanger
More example sentences
- And we had a phalanger, a flying possum that used to cling onto the curtains and fly around at night.
- Brushtail phalangers have large ears, small dark eyes and extremely soft fur which varies in color from gray to rust red. They have a brush-like tail which is prehensile, but not weight bearing.
- Phalangers, more commonly known as possums and cuscuses, are marsupials but with a vague resemblance to some monkeys.
late 18th century: from French, from Greek phalangion 'spider's web' (because of the webbed toes of their hind feet).
Definition of phalanger in:
- The US English dictionary