A small wading or swimming bird with a straight bill and lobed feet, unusual in that the female is more brightly coloured than the male.
- Genus Phalaropus, family Scolopacidae (subfamily Phalaropodinae): three species
More example sentences
- In the mud flats of the Bay of Fundy, you'll see large roosts of shorebirds - plovers, yellowlegs, godwits, curlews, and phalaropes - at high tide.
- An estimated 1.5 million eared grebes, 50,000 Wilson's phalaropes, 50,000 California gulls, and 200 snowy plovers visit Mono Lake each spring and summer.
- The best known of sex-role-reversed shorebirds are the spotted sandpiper, phalaropes (genus Phalaropus), and jacanas (family Jacanidae).
Definition of phalarope in:
- The US English dictionary