Definition of phallocentric in English:
Focused on or concerned with the phallus or penis as a symbol of male dominance: the apartment block was an architectural monument to a phallocentric world
More example sentences
- Most often, men are phallocentric (fascinated with their penises) and have not taken the opportunity to explore their own sexual body.
- As a figment of heterosexual wish-fulfilment, the female nude serves primarily to guarantee the stability of a phallocentric fantasy in which the omnipotent male gaze sees but is never itself seen.
- In her view, the black males in Wilson's plays represent the ‘white supremacist capitalist patriarchy's phallocentric ideal’ and are constantly defending their genitals from the castrating gaze of black women.
- Example sentences
- In this essay, I argue that study of Hotspur offers an opportunity to examine the paradoxical quality of phallocentricity: Hotspur, the knight who helped defeat a king and usurp a kingdom, is nervous with his wife.
- The human mind that invented science in the first place could also uncover the unconscious fantasies and schema, e.g. phallocentricity, which so destructively dominate large groups and the whole world.
- Example sentences
- Perhaps the extreme phallocentrism and misogyny expressed to varying degrees by Kid Rock and Eminem is anxiety about masculinity in a time and place where the old ways - steady industrial employment and family - no longer maintain.
- Julia Kristeva writes about opposing phallocentrism with images derived from women's corporeal experiences.
- In such a world, suggests Maddin, avarice, phallocentrism, corporatism and narcissism are dominating the world and deforming it utterly.
Words that rhyme with phallocentricandrocentric, centric, concentric, eccentric, egocentric, ethnocentric, Eurocentric, geocentric, theocentric
Definition of phallocentric in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.