- According to most beliefs, pyramids were built with the help of great armies of slaves, by the ancient pharaohs of Egypt as tombs for preserving their royal bodies.
- Such iron was used in making the sacred crook of Osiris held by the pharaohs of Egypt.
- In dynastic Egypt, pharaohs celebrated the ‘Sed’ festival at Karnak in which the king was ritually killed and reborn, symbolising the replenishment of his energies.
- Example sentences
- In about 3100 B.C., Egypt was united under a ruler known as Mena, or Menes, who inaugurated the 30 pharaonic dynasties into which Egypt's ancient history is divided - the Old and the Middle Kingdoms and the New Empire.
- Priests were the main practitioners of magic in pharaonic Egypt, where they were seen as guardians of a secret knowledge given by the gods to humanity to ‘ward off the blows of fate’.
- Ancient Egyptians left behind a rich artistic heritage in the form of pyramids, pharaonic painting and sculpture, hieroglyphics, and architecture.
Pharaoh goes back to Egyptian pr-‘o ‘great house’. Early English spellings included Pharaon and Pharaoe; the final h in later English spellings was influenced by the Hebrew spelling in the Bible.
Words that rhyme with pharaohbolero, caballero, dinero, Faeroe, ranchero, sombrero, torero
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: phar|aoh
Definition of pharaoh in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.