(also pharaoh's ant)
- A small yellowish African ant that has established itself worldwide, living as a pest in heated buildings.
More example sentences
- Monomorium pharaonis, family Formicidae
- Pharaoh ants are small, yellow ants about 1/16-inch long. They have two nodes and the workers are all one size.
- Pharaoh ants are commonly found in kitchens and storerooms. They like places that are warm and humid. They will nest in any crack or crevice in any structure such as between bricks and also folded bags or newspapers.
so named because such ants were believed to be one of the plagues of ancient Egypt.
More definitions of pharaoh antDefinition of pharaoh ant in:
- The US English dictionary