The branch of knowledge concerned with medicinal drugs obtained from plants or other natural sources.
More example sentences
- While not all colleges of pharmacy require instruction in herbal therapies or pharmacognosy, inclusion of information about herbal medicines in the curriculum is an effective way to insure knowledge in this area.
- This manuscript reviews the history and pharmacognosy of opium, and describes the chemistry, pharmacology, and therapeutic uses of the major opium alkaloids.
- Most pharmacy or medical schools stopped teaching pharmacognosy long ago and are now scrambling to revive them with the increased interest in alternative treatments.
mid 19th century: from pharmaco- 'of drugs' + gnōsis 'knowledge'.
- More example sentences
- While pharmacognosists continue to explore the opportunities offered by higher plants, they are increasingly turning their attention to other possible drug sources, including various marine organisms, amphibians and lichens.
- An accurate identification is crucial before chemists and pharmacognosists can search for new chemical substances from these plants and repeat their experiments.
Definition of pharmacognosy in:
- The US English dictionary