The branch of medicine concerned with the uses, effects, and modes of action of drugs.
- The main thrust of the book is to describe the toxicology and pharmacology of herbal products.
- The harm to benefit ratio varies according to the condition being treated, the drug's pharmacology, and the availability and safety of other therapeutic options.
- Most ADRs were predictable from the known pharmacology of the drugs and many represented known interactions and are therefore likely to be preventable.
- Example sentences
- Chemists and pharmacologists can alter a drug to decrease its entry into the central nervous system and avoid sleepiness as with the newer antihistamines.
- Collaborations between marine chemists, molecular pharmacologists, and cell biologists have yielded an impressive library of potentially useful cancer, viral, antibiotic, anti-inflammatory, cardiovascular, and CNS drugs.
- The authors are clinical pharmacologists with long experience of caring for patients with, and collating information on, adverse drug reactions.
Early 18th century: from modern Latin pharmacologia, from Greek pharmakon 'drug'.
Definition of pharmacology in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.