noun[as modifier] Chemistry
- Of or denoting the radical —C6H5, derived from benzene by removal of a hydrogen atom: a phenyl groupMore example sentences
- The composition of peptides was determined by amino acid analysis using the phenyl isothiocyanate method.
- Polychlorinated biphenyls are a family of 209 congeners with 2 linked phenyl rings and variable chlorination.
- We also varied the end group of the trichlorosilyl surfactant, using an amine, vinyl, bromo, or phenyl group to provide other surfaces of differing hydrophobicity.
mid 19th century: from French phényle, from Greek phaino- 'shining' (because first used in names of compounds denoting by-products of the manufacture of gas used for illumination).
More definitions of phenylDefinition of phenyl in:
- The US English dictionary