noun[mass noun] Chemistry
- A crystalline solid which has a bitter taste to people possessing a certain dominant gene and is tasteless to others.
More example sentences
- Chemical formula: NH2CSNHC6H5
- Part of taste in humans is genetically controlled and it is a well-known phenomena to find individuals who are unable to taste phenylthiocarbamide.
- Breakthroughs in taste research began in 1931 when Science published the finding that many individuals are unable to taste the compound, phenylthiocarbamide, a relatively bitter compound.
- For decades, taste researchers have used a chemical called phenylthiocarbamide to assay a person's capability to sense a bitter taste.