Definition of pheromone in English:
A chemical substance produced and released into the environment by an animal, especially a mammal or an insect, affecting the behaviour or physiology of others of its species.
- Once an enterprising hornet scouts out a bee colony, it marks the nest with a type of bodily chemical substance called a pheromone.
- Bluntnose minnows probably release chemicals called pheromones when they are alarmed.
- In most species, the pheromones act as attractants and sexual stimulants.
- Example sentences
- Red-backed salamanders, Plethodon cinereus, use territorial advertisement in the form of agonistic displays and pheromonal scent marking as a mechanism for intraspecific interference competition.
- Thus, females that attempted to avoid courtship (as predicted under the hypothesis of sexual conflict) might be able to do so by selecting sites with fewer pheromonal cues from males.
- Urine signals, excreted through nephropores located near the base of the antennae, are a likely source of pheromonal cues in decapods.
Words that rhyme with pheromonehormone • Oenone
Definition of pheromone in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan