Definition of pheromone in English:
A chemical substance produced and released into the environment by an animal, especially a mammal or an insect, affecting the behaviour or physiology of others of its species.
- Once an enterprising hornet scouts out a bee colony, it marks the nest with a type of bodily chemical substance called a pheromone.
- Bluntnose minnows probably release chemicals called pheromones when they are alarmed.
- In most species, the pheromones act as attractants and sexual stimulants.
- Example sentences
- Red-backed salamanders, Plethodon cinereus, use territorial advertisement in the form of agonistic displays and pheromonal scent marking as a mechanism for intraspecific interference competition.
- Thus, females that attempted to avoid courtship (as predicted under the hypothesis of sexual conflict) might be able to do so by selecting sites with fewer pheromonal cues from males.
- Urine signals, excreted through nephropores located near the base of the antennae, are a likely source of pheromonal cues in decapods.
Words that rhyme with pheromonehormone • Oenone
Definition of pheromone in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.