- I'm a bit of philistine when it comes to art; I don't have much time for it and art galleries make me feel sleepy.
- Of course, I guess it's possible that these books are all pretty well known to literate Americans and I'm just a philistine.
- Ignore the doom-mongers and philistines - it is both possible and desirable to rescue Venice from sinking into the sea.
adjectiveBack to top
- Beneath this undercurrent of grumbling is the philistine assumption that it is elitist or irrelevant to consider art which does not excite the mass market.
- And as yet another example of perhaps the only serious British contribution to 20th century architecture faces demolition, is there any other art form about which we could be so utterly, wilfully philistine?
- The policy is philistine, expensive and environmentally disastrous.
early 19th century: from Philistine, originally with reference to a confrontation between university students and townspeople in Jena, Germany, in the late 17th century; a sermon on the conflict quoted ‘the Philistines are upon you’ (Judges 16), which led to an association between the townspeople and those hostile to culture.
- More example sentences
- Their libertarianism was more aesthetic than political, an assertion of personal autonomy against repressive philistinism.
- When cultural studies denigrates literature as elitist, this is hard to distinguish from a long national tradition of bourgeois philistinism.
- She was also accused of philistinism, particularly because of a remark she made at a private dinner party, disloyally leaked by a fellow guest.
- The Canaanites suffered a series of setbacks in the late 2nd millennium bc with attacks from the sea peoples in the north while in the south they were displaced by the Israelites and the Philistines.
- Yet in the end, the sculpture works its magic; just as the biblical David defeated the ancient Philistines, his statue conquers the modern American philistines.
- When the Israelites asked for a king to lead them against the Philistines, Samuel warned them that he would become a tyrant.
Definition of philistine in:
- The US English dictionary