The fraudulent practice of sending emails purporting to be from reputable companies in order to induce individuals to reveal personal information, such as passwords and credit card numbers.
- The modern era of phishing is exemplified by emails messages from Nigerians posing as business partners trying to move money out of the African country.
- The second issue I have is that the most common attacks today collect passwords through phishing.
- To avoid being a victim of phishing, never respond to e-mail requests for personal information, no matter how official the message looks.
- Example sentences
- The requirements were partially a reflection of the threat landscape of more than two years ago, which was dominated by phishers.
- Anyone operating on behalf of a known spammer or phisher would receive the same punishment.
- At first phishing consisted only of a social engineering scam in which phishers spammed consumer e-mail accounts with letters ostensibly from banks.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: phish|ing
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.