noun[mass noun] Botany
- The vascular tissue in plants which conducts sugars and other metabolic products downwards from the leaves.More example sentences
- The conducting tissues within the vascular bundles are the xylem and phloem.
- For the stem, the outermost green tissue, including both phloem and cambium were estimated.
- Root tissue samples are hereafter referred to as periderm, phloem and xylem.
late 19th century: from Greek phloos 'bark' + the passive suffix -ēma.
More definitions of phloemDefinition of phloem in:
- The US English dictionary